tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 16 12:27:12 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {yaH}

Quvar:
> > kann mir das vielleicht jemand ins Deutsche übersetzen?
> >
> > "Eine Organisation dedicated to scholastic pursuits or research is a
> yejHaD"

What's the difference between "scholastic pursuits" and "research"?

Jens-Wolfhard Schicke
>Eine Organisation, deren Aufgabe die Weitergabe oder der Erwerb von Wissen
>ist, wird als yejHaD bezeichnet.
>
> > Ihr könnt - der übung wegen - den Satz auch ins Klingonische
> übersetzen, wenn ihr wollt ;-)
>
>   ghoj ghojmoHbogh je DIvI' 'oH yejHaD

"A {yejHaD} is an organization that [both] learns and teaches."

First, when using {'oH} as a copula you need to tag the subject with {-'e'}:

   ghoj ghojmoHbogh je DIvI' 'oH yejHaD'e'

>ummm - where should the "-bogh" go?

Canon has three examples of translating two {-bogh}ed verbs closely
modifying a single noun.  Unfortunately, each is done differently:

   romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
   Romulan hunter-killer probe  KCD

   SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
   yellow tea
   ("The tea that is {SuD} and light." [KGT 82])

These are variations, with the noun in different places.  I'd imagine that
because it's a short phrase and there's no intervening words or clauses,
this variation may just be a matter of style.

   yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
   Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw         (Anthem)
   The blood of battle washes clean
   the Warrior brave and true.  (Hillary Bader's lyrics)
   ("The battle blood perfectly cleans the warrior who
     is brave and loyal."       [Okrand's back-translation])

The version in the Anthem has been criticized, but it may just be a case of
poetic licence since the translation had to be able to be sung to
Paramount's music.

So, using these as models, you can say:

   ghojbogh 'ej ghojmoHbogh DIvI' 'oH yejHaD'e'.

   ghojbogh DIvI' 'ej ghojmoHbogh 'oH yejHaD'e'.

   ghojbogh ghojmoHbogh je DIvI' 'oH yejHaD'e'.

Of these, I prefer the first.  The second seems a bit ambivalent to
me:  Does {ghojmoHbogh} refer to {DIvI'} or {yejHaD}?  (I.e. is it a
"teaching institute" or a "teaching organization"?)

Vocabulary note:  also consider the verbs {HaD} "study" and {Qul}
"research" and the nouns {Sov} "knowledge" and {paQDI'norgh}
"teachings".  There's a SkyBox card that might be helpful if you want to
recast your translation with {-meH} clauses instead of {-bogh}s:

   HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH.
   vaj loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
   space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
   intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
   adventure into space... DS99

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons