tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 18:38:14 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: {tuj muvwI'}

Russ Perry Jr ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

"qurgh lungqIj" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Since it's a noun from the BOP poster I would say this refers to a part of
>the ship known as the baffles. What the baffles do, I don't know, but I
>think they are part of the engine.
>
>Any former Navy personnel on the list who can tell us what vID'Irmey do?

According to http://www.m-w.com a baffle is "a device (as a plate, wall, or
screen) to deflect, check, or regulate flow (as of a fluid, light, or sound)".

I think typically a sound baffle is to carry the sound away from occupied
areas.

On a starship it might vent heat out of the ship, or at least away from the
engines to cool them down.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    [email protected] [NEW!]  VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||