tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 09:59:53 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: {bol}

Quvar:
> > is {bol} "drool" as babies drool?
> > i.e. to let saliva or some other substance flow from the mouth
> > German: sabbern

qurgh:
>I'd have to say yes, even when it's used as slang in English (I'm drooling
>over that new car you got) it's still related to the action of salivation
>(which occurs due to the expectation of something, most often food).

{bol} in canon:

   "In its nonslang sense, {bol} does not take an object:
    {bolpu'} ('He/she has drooled')." (KGT p.147)

Cf. also the related verb {tlhIS} "spit out".

FYI: *{nuj bIQ} has been used here on the Mailing List for "spit, saliva"
but it's not official.  As I understand it, Okrand will be discussing words
for bodily fluids and functions in the next HolQeD (which the membership
should be receiving in a couple of weeks).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level