tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 08 10:46:21 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {puy}

Quvar wrote:

>{puy} is a verb "wreck"
>
>Do I wreck a ship - Duj vIpuy'a' qoj
>or does the ship wreck - puy'a' Duj?

AFAIK {puy} has never been used in canon, although {puy} does appear in the
noun {puyjaq} "nova".  But "wreck" requires an object in English.  I've
never heard it used like your second example -- all of which tells us
nothing about how {puy} is used in Klingon of course.

>Marc Okrand made many words for ST3 first.

This is generally the approach I use for problem words:  If it is listed in
the main glossary of TKD, then I assume it was coined for the movie ST3 and
try to recall what happened in that movie.  If it's listed in the Addendum,
then I assume it refers to something in ST5, ST6 or the first season of TNG.

>Captain Kirk has "wrecked" the enterprise, didn't he?

More or less;  Kirk ordered the ship to self-destruct.  "Wreck" generally
assumes a more direct or hands-on involvement (e.g. "he wrecked the car
[which he was driving]").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons