tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 08 10:02:42 2004

Re: KLBC: Some Sentences

Quvar:
> >> We do have a word for "monitor", however: {jIH}. AFAIK, this noun
> >> isn't as controversial.

Philip:
> > {jIH} is glossed as "monitor" only as a verb (TKDa). As a noun, the
> > gloss is "viewing screen" (TKD).

Quvar:
>Correct. Perhabs he was talking about "this noun" i.e. {jIH}?
>It's still weird, since the meaning is pretty close, a monitor usually has
>a viewing screen - does it not?  Perhaps MO has slipped a line?

According to my notes, the noun {jIH} "monitor (device)" first appeared in
a vocabulary list Okrand compiled for the (now defunct) Klingon fanzine
"veS QonoS" and was reprinted in HolQeD 1.3.

Okrand used the noun {jIH'a'} "main viewscreen" in SkyBox SP3 ({tlhIngan
wIy} "Klingon Tactical Display"):

   motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'
   The main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a
   complex target acquisition grid.  SP3

and the verb {jIH} "monitor" in the "Star Trek: The Experience" communique:

   jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH
   Stay tuned for information on how you can be among the first to
   beam aboard! STX

[BTW, {Se'vam yIjIHtaH} "continue monitoring this frequency" is a very nice
translation for "stay tuned"!]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons