tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 20:56:44 2004

Re: KLBC your choice of a name

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: KLBC your choice of a name

> In a message dated 1/6/2004 9:08:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
> {'} is a glottal stop. It is a sudden cutoff of air, a sudden escape of
air,
> or a very brief pause, depending on where it is in the word.
> Hello.
> I have a question. You say depending on where it is in the word. Could you
> expand on this and tell me the different ways to pronounce this,
(beginning,
> middle and end of words).

At the beginning of a word, it is a sudden onset of air. You feel this in
the back of your throat when you begin to say "apple".
In the middle of a word, it is a slight pause, like "hot toddy".
At the end of a word, it is an abrupt cutoff, like saying "hit", without
actually making the "t" sound.

That's the best way I can think of to describe these.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/