tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 21:31:30 2004

Re: KLBC Re: grammer/vocabulary questions from beginner

"Can you answer my question?"/"I have a question" would probably end up as
/HIjang/ "Answer me!" in Klingon.

As I'm sure you're aware, languages don't always translate word-for-word,
and the less related the languages in question, the more likely it is that
you're going to have to express the concept originally instead of
translating the words.  You would not translate Spanish "Tengo hambre" with
English "I have hunger"; you'd express it as "I am hungry."  So Klingon
apparently does not say "I have a question," but it CAN express the same
idea in different ways, like /HIjang/ "Answer me!" or "jIghel" "I ask a
question."

In my opinion, the imperative version is more likely to be the correct one,
given what we know of Klingon grammar and culture.

SuStel
Stardate 4014.1