tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 12:53:54 2004

Re: Possessive pronouns

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 5:01 AM
Subject: Possessive pronouns

> nuqneH;
> OK! I have looked everywhere and I can not find any words that describe
> possessive pronouns like my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, their,
theirs, our
> or ours. What is up with that? I need to find these words! Any ideas,
anyone?
> weQqul
> HovpoH 4012.1

OK, here's a breakdown of possessive suffixes:

Possession is indicated by 10 type-four noun suffixes.

When the thing possessed is not capable of using language, the suffixes are:
"my" {-wIj}
"your" {-lIj}
"his/hers/it's" {-Daj}
"our" {-maj}
"ya'll's" ("you" pl.) {-raj}
"their" {-chaj}

When the thing possessed is capable of using language, the suffixes are:
"my" {wI'}
"your" {lI'}
"our" {ma'}
"ya'll's" {ra'}

Notice that only the first- and second-person suffixes change (third-person
stays the same), and those suffixes only change by one sound (the "j"
becomes a glottal stop.)

And that's about it. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,