tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 05 05:10:04 2004

Re: QUESTION....

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> Well, of course. But what I'm wondering about is, if he would decide to
> write a new book, would he be unable/not allowed to if Paramount didn't
> see good reason for it?

They would certainly want their name on it, including all the usual
copyright marks.

> And we really could use one more book IMHO, there are still many
> grammatical things which are unclear (a truckload of new words would be
> nice too, but of lesser importance I think),

For that, we have HolQeD and the KLI, for grammar problems the book "from
the grammarians desk" is interesting.
Of course a book that includes all the "new words" from the past years would
be nice.

But when paramount (or any other company) makes a new book, they always
think about the money they invest, and the money they can make with it. Money
rules the world.

Who would buy such a book, the "third klingon book"?

KGT is only useful if you know TKD already, and understand the basics of the
language. KGT is for the advanced learner, or just for the "general"
StarTrek fan who buys everything bearing the name startrek.

If there would be another book, what would it be about?
Culture? we got everything in TKW and KGT.
Language? That would be boring (for the "average user"), because it would go
too much into detail, only of use for the "upper class" of Klingonists.
It should be a book with many (yet unseen) pictures or drawings, so that a
broad group of startrek fans would enjoy "looking", or "reading" it. Those who
want to "learn" from it need to have TKD.

I'm not thinking negative, just realistic.
(I also want to have more books!!)

> entire tlhIngan Hol thing has already became way more than he originally
> intended. ;)

Yes, indeed.

> Yeah, it's interesting... are all instances of tlhIngan Hol words
> copyrighted?? If you write something in tlhIngan Hol neH, but don't use
> "Star Trek" or "Klingon" and the likes anywhere, could you still get sued?

> Perhaps somebody with legal knowlegde knows more?
I'm working on that already.

The problem is - again - money: Paramount can certainly afford to pay more
lawyers than we can.

> (Not that I intend to do this, I'm speaking hypothetically.)

I am not :-)

I've made a dictionary, some have seen it at the aep'a' chorghDIch in
Brussels or the qepHom, which contains ALL the known vocabulary. It's not just a
list of words, it's a real dictionary like a Langenscheidt.

Since it is not just a copy of page 82 of TKD, I did not "reproduce this
book or portions thereof", it is my own work. On the other hand, everything in
the book is canon - of course. And what is canon? The words written in the
books. So I didn't use my own words, I've just copied MO's words from the books,
and re-arranged them.
Copyright anyone??

Here's an excerpt, for those interested:
(formatting got lost through email, I can send a picture if you like)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Such vt. visit: qaSuchlaHbe'. jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb. I was too late to
visit you. (lit.: I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has
escaped).
SuD v. 1. be green, blue, yellow; ~ 'ej wov (it) is SuD and light; ~ 'ach
wov (it) is SuD but light; (a way to refer to a yellowish tinge); SuD Dargh 'ej
wov The tea is SuD and light; SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh. The tea that is SuD
and light; SuD veqlargh mInDu'. somebody is jealous; lit. Fek'lhr's eyes are
yellow/green; cf. Doq v. be red; 2. gamble, take a risk: bISuDrup'a'? Will
you take that chance?
Sugh v. install (installing into an office, assuming its responsibilities).
SuH x. ready, standing by.
Suj v. disturb.

Quvar.