tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 04 16:17:09 2004

Re: QUESTION....

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

ghItlh Dum'er:
> Really?? If this is true, then we'll most likely never see another book on
> tlhIngan Hol by MO. :( I mean, if Paramount can't even be bothered anymore
> to use proper tlhIngan Hol in their series (Enterprise and such), what are
> the odds of them ever sanctioning the release of another book??

No, not necessarily. TKW and KGT were made in 1996 and 1997, long time after
they'd done any serious Klingon on the show. (TNG stopped in 1994 and ST6
was in 1991) - I don't know what the reason was to publish books at that time.

> So Paramount owns tlhIngan Hol so completely that MO can't even write a
> book on it unless Paramount says it's ok?

I dunno.
But I think MO has other stuff to do than just writing books :-)
He gets paid for making these things, that's his job (part of it).

Other question, good question:
How much does Paramount own tlhIngan Hol??!

I am afraid that we might start an avalanche of a discussion which is worth
opening a new mailing list, but this cannot remain unsaid.

You asked for MO, but what if YOU or anyone else would write a book on the
language?
They have a copyright on TKD, even the word "Klingon" (R). "Star Trek is a
Registered Trademark of Paramount Pictures" we all know TM, (R) & (C)

All Rights Reserved. Which rights??

Do they own the language?
CAN they own a language?

The standard phrase that can be found in any book one can buy is found also
in TKD p. 4:
    "All rights reserved, including the right to reproduce this book or
portions thereof in any form whatsoever."

If I'd make a book which contains the sentence {vavwI' vISuch}, then did I
"reproduce this book or portions thereof" ?

What if I write a complete book only in the Klingon (TM) Language?

I understand they have registered Star Trek (R) and Klingon (TM) for some
reason,
'ach(R) Hoch(R) tlhIngan(R) mu'(R) lu(R)Qan(R)meH(R) Huch(R) Hutlh(R)bej(R)
chaH(R). :-)