tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 03 04:39:41 2004

Re: MOST terminology

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

> Well, yes, except that if Klingonists want to have their own office
> suite to use to create spread sheets in Klingon, sophisticated word
> documents in Klingon, graphs, computer generated drawings, etc, in
> Klingon, then it will be helpful to generate translations for the
> words on this list linked below.

You're right, it's great to have some software with klingon menus - but I've
seen the list, and I admit that I don't even understand most of the english
words! Actually, even in German I don't always know what the thing means
until I use it.

> As I understand it, "localized" means that when you bring up the
> program, rather than seeing the English words "File", "Edit", "View",
> etc on your word processing tool bar, you instead see the romanized
> Klingon equivalents.

Hm?? Yes, I hope you don't want to use any Klingon letters!

For these basic things you mention ("File", "Edit", "View") there are "a
few" programs on the web you could refer to, like Holtej's pojwI'.
But when I see things like "SvDraw Autoshape Adjustment" or just
"Spreadsheet"...

> underline only those words which were misspelled in Klingon!

Woow! Forget about that!
First of all, new words come frequently.
And much worse is the agglutination (suffixes). The spellchecker must either
be able to recognize the grammar (like suffix order), or you need to enter
every single possible construction.

And from grammar:

{Dabej nuq} is correct.
{nuq Dabej} is correct too, but has a different meaning. :-)

> hell it is that you are doing. "What application is THAT?   It LOOKS
> like Microsoft Word, but what are all those strange words on the tool
> bar?

My desktop has only Klingon text, and I made the icons all the same.
NOBODY can use my computer :-)

Quvar.