tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 26 15:59:43 2004

Re: The specifics of indefinites

QeS lagh ([email protected])

QIj voragh:

>You're making this far too complicated.  You don't need all these {-lu'}s
>or even {net}.  {-lu'} "is used to indicate that the subject is unknown,
>indefinite, and/or general" (TKD p.38) and many of Okrand's examples there
>use "someone/something".  The someone you want may be unknown, but s/he is
>not "indefinite, and/or general"; you have a specific, if unknown, someone
>in mind.  For that, use the noun {vay'} "someone, anyone":

So the distinction between <vay'> and <-lu'> is that <vay'> is more often
referential (i.e. it picks out a target, even if I don't know what that
target is), and <-lu'> more often non-referential? qatlho'qu'.

But that still leaves my question unanswered - can <neH> use <net>, or do we
have to resort to <vay'> or something else? Do we have any canon support one
way or the other (for instance, the usage of <vay'> as you describe)?

>Whenever you translate "someone", don't automatically think {-lu'} or
>{net}.  Consider using {vay'}.

It's just that I have seen <'e' Sovlu'> or the like crop up so many times in
my personal writing. Errors of grammar like these are part of my Klingon,
and I am doing my best to eradicate them one by annoying little one. :)

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/

Back to archive top level