tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 16 17:20:21 2004

RE: Help with translation

Voragh:
> > As has been mentioned, {malja'} "business" is the closest we have but our
> > sole example refers to the activity, not a place:
> >
> >    batlh malja' DaHuq.
> >    You transact business honorably. PK
> >
> > Another option is to recast it and use {Suy} "merchant" or {laSvargh}
> > "factory".

I remembered two more examples of {malja'} in context:

   malja' permey
   trademarks ("Star Trek: Communicator" Klingon issue)

   Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
   "Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.
   (SkyBox Copyright)

Curiously, Okrand also translated Star Trek" as {Hov leng} in that issue of
Communicator (Paramount's official fan magazine), which IIRC preceded the
SkyBox copyright notice.  I wonder if he was told to use "Star Trek" in
English for legal reasons.  (I guess Paramount didn't want to give
Klingon-speaking lawyers *any* loopholes! <g>)

Paul:
>What about using the /-'a'/ suffix to indicate something greater than just
>a business?  /malja''a'/ ?

Hmm... is a company actually "greater than just a business"?  There are
some pretty small companies out there.  <g>

Assuming {malja'} works for "a business", *{malja''a'} would imply to me
something on the order of a corporation, conglomerate, daibatsu, etc. while
*{malja'Hom} might be something akin to a sidewalk vendor or a mom-and-pop
grocery store.

My notes show that *{malja''a'} has, in fact, been used before on this list
- by whom, I don't know - for "corporation" and *{malja'ghom} for
"syndicate, cartel".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons