tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 16 11:59:14 2004

Re: DonHa'

{Don}  "be parallel, go parallel to"

Russ:
> >> Can anyone suggest a word for "perpendicular"?

Paul:
>Well, I have in my notes /taH/, a verb for "Be at a negative angle".
>Since I think this references flight (ie. angling down towards the
>ground),

I've always thought it had to refer to space flight, perhaps a line in ST3
- it's in the main glossary of TKD, right? - that we've all overlooked or
was dropped from the final cut.

>we might be able to use this with the suffix /-chu'/ "perfectly,
>clearly" to indicate a path that is perpendicular (since the greatest
>downward angle would be perpendicular to the ground)...

We also have the noun {HeDon} "parallel course"

>You had suggested /DonHa'/ "unparallel", but I don't think that
>necessarily means perpendicular.  Perhaps, however, you could say
>/Donbe'chu'/  "Perfectly not parallel", and get "perpendicular" out of
>that.

I can't suggest anything, but here's some more vocabulary to play
with:  {SaS} "be horizontal", {nech} "be lateral, move laterally", {yoy}
"be upside down" and {lol} "be in an attitude".

>It's interesting, I couldn't find a word for "intercept", either...

IIRC the closest we have for this is {chol} "close in, get closer, come
nearer" -- so, possibly, we can say something like *{cholmeH He yInab}
"plot an intercept course".  If you wanted to get really picky, you could
say {cholqu'} "get very close", etc.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons