tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 16 11:37:19 2004

Re: Possible Pun?

Tyler wrote:

>I think I may have noticed a possible pun in the word
>{tlhepQe'} (saliva).  When spelled backwards
>({'eQpetlh}), this resembles the word "expect".

It resembles "expectorate" more -- to eject or discharge matter from the
throat or lungs by coughing or hawking and spitting.  (BTW, it was a nice
touch using /Q/ instead of /q/ for this; if you pronounce it right, there's
a good chance you will expectorate!)

>Another word for "expect" is "anticipate". And isn't
>there a saying about people salivating in anticipation?

You're over-thinking it.  But half marks for realizing that {tlhepQe'} has
to be read backwards for the pun.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons