tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 03 06:23:13 2004

Re: 'immediately'

sangqar ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

"KLBC" DaghItlhbe' ('ej jangpu' ngabwI'), vaj:

> ghItlhDaq mu'  vItu'ta'  'ach DaH vItu'laHbe'.

pup pab, 'ach Da'tu' 'e' DaHech'a'?  DaSam'a'? DaHechbe'chugh, vaj <vI'tu'pu'> (<vI'tu'> neH
ghap) yIlo'.

> nuqDaq   vlleghta' 'e' jIqaw'be'

yIlo'Qo'!  ghellaH'a' <'e'> mu'tlhegh DoS?  maSovbe', 'ach tetlhvamDaq, ghelbe'.

The infamous QAO (Question As Object).  We don't know whether the SAO formula (using
{'e'} and {net}) can be extended so that a question can be an object.  Okrand has never used
or endorsed it, but neither has he forbidden it.  The consensus on this list seems to be to
avoid using it, whether or not you believe it to be correct.

(Note to all readers:  I am deliberately not endorsing a position on the correctness of QAO
here.  Let's not start this one up again.)

> lu'! ('oh,  'e')  mu'meyvam qay'mey vIghaj!

<qay'mey>: Dip 'oHbe' mu'vam'e', vaj mojaqvam lo'laHbe'.  <jIHvaD qay' mu'mey'vam>,
<muqay' mu'meyvam> ghap vIchup.

> vIghojtaH 'ej vInIDbejqu'.

pup pab.

> Hoch jaj wa'maH cha' qoj wa'maH loS repmey vIHaDtaH

> Qatlhqu' 'ach DuH 'oH.

chaq Qap <DuHbej>.  'ej mu' <'oH> DapoQbe'.  ('ach mujbe'.)

> tlhIngan Hol'e' chay' Dochvam
> jatlhlu': "i need more time"?

ngoQ yIngu'. (This is not an answer to the question, so look these words up if you don't know
them.)

Grammarians past and present (and anyone else willing to put forth an opinion, for that
matter), I have a question:

In composing the final answer, I found myself wanting to say {ngoQ nuqvaD}, but this
seemed weird, so I recast.  I know that Type 5 suffixes migrate to a verb acting as an
adjective, and I believe they also migrate to an ordinal number acting as an adjective, but
what about this case?  Would they also migrate to {nuq} when it's acting as an adjective, as
in this case?  I tend to think they would, but I can't recall ever running across this before.

ngoQ potlhvaD - Okay
ngoQ wa'DIchvaD - Okay (I think)
ngoQ nuqvaD - ???

Voragh, what kind of canon do we have on {nuq} acting as an adjective (as opposed to
standing on its own)?

-Sangqar

Back to archive top level