tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 02 05:48:00 2004

KLBC: Genesis 1:1-5

Daniel Abraham ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I'm not a religious man personally, nor do I intend to translate the whole
book. just tried to practice translating an arbitrary short passage which is
familiar and easy yet not entirely trivial (I know my limitations :)

The fact is I'd much rather practice *reading* familiar texts than
translating them. Is there a downloadable version of the KBTP's work
somewhere?

So... Here goes:

1    mungDaq chal ghor je chenmoHta' Qun.
2    'ej chenbe'pu' ghor 'ej chImpu' 'oH, 'ej Hurgh Qargh'a' bIS'ub, 'ej bIQ
DungDaq leng Qun qa'.
3    <<wovchoH>> jatlh Qun, 'ej ghIq wovchoHta'.
4    'ej QaQ wovtaHghachvam 'e' legh Qun, 'ej wovtaHghachvam
HurghtaHghachvetlh je chev Qun.
5    'ej wovtaHghachvaD <<pem>> pong Qun, HurghtaHghachvaD <<ram>> pong je;
choS tu'lu', ghIq po tu'lu' - wa' jaj.

Notes that come to mind:

1. I'm a little weak when it comes to aspect and complex sentences. Any and
all comments are very much appreciated.

2. I'm not comfortable with {mungDaq} since "In the beginning" refers to
both time and space (or neither, or just time - depends on one's point of
view), and {mungDaq} refers only to a location, sort of. Any creative
suggestions regarding {-vIS} or {-pa'}?

3. Regarding the first part of verse 2: is it possible to combine 2 verbs in
the same object-verb-subject construct? Something like {chenbe'pu' chImpu'
je ghor}? IMHO, using 2 separate (mini-)sentences weakens the meanings of
the expression "tohu va-vohu" (something like "chaos and desolation"), and I
can't think of a noun with a similar meaning).

4. {wovtaHghach} and {HurghtaHghach} seem very iffy because of the
{-taHghach} syndrome, but I can't think of a better re-phrasing...

bIjaj

Back to archive top level