tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 19:51:04 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

ja'pu' Voragh:
>Why would you expect one simple noun root?  That's anglo-centric thinking.

ja' QeS lagh:
>Why? In a language like Klingon in the state that it exists, I just would
>have imagined that a common word as long as {wovmoHwI'} might have been
>shortened or reanalysed by now. That's not necessarily anglocentric.
>{wovmoHwI'} would be used often, so it would be susceptible to reduction.
>Perhaps *{wovjan}, by analogy with {botjan}.

Klingon doesn't seem to have very many examples of such shortening.  A word
like {wovmoHwI'} isn't all that long to begin with anyway.  And why do you
assume it's a common word that gets used often?  Lamps aren't likely to be
important in a battle situation where clipped speech is the rule.

I know *I* rarely speak of light bulbs and fluorescent tubes unless I'm
replacing one.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level