tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 13:36:09 2004

Re: 'uD vs. 'uD'a' ?

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':
>That's an interesting point. {'uD Haqtaj} could still have {'uD} referring
>to a light-emitting source in general rather than a laser in particular, to
>distinguish from a {baS Haqtaj}. That would explain why we have the verb
>derivations {wovmoHwI'} and {wovmoHbogh janHom} instead of one simple noun
>root for "light source".

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>Why would you expect one simple noun root?  That's anglo-centric thinking.

Why? In a language like Klingon in the state that it exists, I just would
have imagined that a common word as long as {wovmoHwI'} might have been
shortened or reanalysed by now. That's not necessarily anglocentric.
{wovmoHwI'} would be used often, so it would be susceptible to reduction.
Perhaps *{wovjan}, by analogy with {botjan}.

vItaHmoH:
>True, but there's no other light source that can conceivably cut anything,
>so "laser scalpel" is the only sensible interpretation, even if {'uD} did
>just refer to any light source here. I'm not saying {'uD} doesn't mean
>"laser". I think, though, that we shouldn't necessarily rule out {'uD} as
>possibly being just a light source, in addition to the meaning it carries
>in
>{'uD Haqtaj}.

ghItlhpu' Voragh:
>I think we should take Okrand at his word.  If he meant "light", he would
>have said so.  Since both {'uD Haqtaj} "laser scalpel" and {'uD'a'} "laser"
>both appear in the same list Okrand provided for the "veS QonoS" newsletter
>(reprinted in "HolQeD" 1.3), we should accept them as is and not try to
>re-analyze what he "really meant".

qay'be'. I was just engaging in speculation based on what ghunchu'wI' said.
I'm not saying we should use {'uD} instead of {wovmoHwI'}.

vItaHmoH:
>Would {Sech} refer to a stick-with-a-fire-at-the-end kind of torch?

jangpu' Voragh:
>For an American (like Okrand), absolutely; only a Brit would immediately
>think of a mechanical lantern (i.e. a "flashlight" in American).

<Britain> ngan neH?? :P

<Australia> ngan jIH, 'ej naDev reH <torch> wIlo'. mu' <flashlight> wIyaj,
'ach motlh <flashlight> ngaSbe' mu'tay'maj. vaj jItlhob. chochuHmo' qatlho'.

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level