tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 26 12:33:34 2004

Re: De'wI' mu'mey

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

lay'tel SIvten:
>do we have more or less established terms for such computer terms as
>hardward/software

As SuStel said, we don't, though it's something that I'm sure
lots of Klingonists have wished for.

lay'tel SIvten:
>hard drive/ram
>can we use {qawHaq} for memory, with {qawHaq ru'} (ram) and {qawHaq ru'Ha'}
>(rom, hard drive)?

Within the Trek universe, they don't seem to make the
distinction between memory and storage.  You can use whatever
you want, but there's no guarantee that anyone else will
understand it.

lay'tel SIvten:
>how about using {let} (hard) and {tun} (soft) for hard(ware) and
>soft(ware)?  and the 'ware' might be {luch}, giving {luch let} (hardware}
>and {luch tun} (software).

I very much doubt that Klingons would happen to use the
terms "hard" and "soft" for the distinction that we make.
Using terms that we do have, we might describe various
computer hardware components as <De'wI' 'aH>.  For "data"
we have <De'>, and for "programs" (computer instructions)
we can use (the verb) <ghun>.

lay'tel SIvten:
>what canon computer terms do we have, and what other commonly accepted
>terms are also used?

Only one canon computer part that I can think of:
<SoSbor> "motherboard".

--
De'vID

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium