tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 22 21:38:09 2004

Re: Probability

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

SuStel:
>If you're insisting on finding out how to express any probability in any
>situation, WE DON'T KNOW.  Live with it.

I know that we don't know, but I'm still curious to know how far we
can push what we *do* currently know.

SuStel:
>If you want help with expressing a particular situation, tell us what it is
>and we'll find a way to do it for that particular situation.
>
>Marc Okrand hasn't revealed how Klingon deals with all manner of
>probability, so asking us how it's done is pointless.

I don't think it's pointless.  Well, from the perspective of
attempting to find the "correct Klingon" way of doing things,
yes, it's pointless because we don't know and won't know until
MO tells us.  But aside from trying to express a particular
situation, I was also curious as to how others might try to
make do with what we have, which in and of itself reveals
interesting things about the language.  For example, Teresh's
suggestion that assigning a probability to an event might
not be something that a Klingon would do, because a Klingon
would express it in terms of certainty, did not occur to me
beforehand.  Some of the other posts also revealed that some
people have a much looser interpretation of the <-meH> suffix
than is stated in the grammar.  I still don't see how <peDmeH
DuH> makes any sense, but I want to know how others see it.
So even if the ultimate answer is that we don't know how to
express probabilities, the question is not entirely pointless
to me because it's generating interesting responses that
illuminate certain parts of the language.

--
De'vID

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium