tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 22 18:15:42 2004

Re: Doghjey

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

De'vID:
>>I *almost* thought <Doghjey> (n) "unconditional surrender"
>>was another example, but upon checking the parts, I found
>><Dogh> (v) "be foolish, silly" + <jey> (v) "defeat".  There
>>is a noun <jey> (n) "itinerary", but no noun <jey> meaning
>>"defeat".  Still, an "unconditional surrender" may be/result
>>in a "foolish itinerary", from a Klingon point of view!

lay'tel SIvten
>i prefer to believe Doghjey is an example of a verb-verb compound "foolish
>defeat", also very klingon in its point of view.

As a verb-verb compound (which turns into a noun!), what is
the subject of the verbs?  Who is being foolish, and who is
doing the defeating?  I can't quite see this as a verb-verb
compound, because the two verbs would have different subjects.

--
De'vID

Add photos to your messages with MSN Premium. Get 2 months FREE*