tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 19 19:26:13 2004

Re: New vocabulary and {law'/puS} variants (HQ 13.1)

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:10:41PM -0500, Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan wrote:
> {va'nuch} "heel" (n., body part)
>   -nIb va'nuchDu'chaj
>     "their heels are identical"
>
> I don't have HolQeD in front of me, but when I read the article, I was
> very interested to discover that word.  However, how do you know that
> the word refers to the heel of the foot and not the heel of a boot.  The
> sentence above particularly struck me as a comparison of boot heels, not
> feet.  Was there something in the article that made it clear or are you
> just assuming that it is the body part?

Remember, in Klingon body parts are a separate syntactic category.
They have their own plural suffix, -Du', whose use in the above sentence
indicates that va'nuch is a body part.

-Mark

Back to archive top level