tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 16 22:55:41 2004

Re: New vocabulary and {law'/puS} variants (HQ 13.1)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>Ant. {Hab} "be smooth".  Up till now we've been using {ghegh} "be rough"
>and {tlher} "be lumpy" to describe "ridgy" foreheads... and we still may be
>able to.  In KGT {ghegh} "be rough" and {Hab} "be smooth" are specifically
>listed as antonyms,

[pe'lu']

>Okrand further writes that "If one state of affairs is not inherently
>better or worse than its opposite, the terms may occur in either order"
>(KGT p.179).  Surely that can't be right! <g> (In PK we learned that {Hab
>SoSlI' Quch} "Your mother has a smooth forehead" is the most insulting
>curse of all!)

In light of the new verb {vIl}, maybe {ghegh} and {Hab} are neutral with
respect to one another, but {vIl} is preferable to {Hab}.

So either {tlhIngan yoH ghegh verengan yoH Hab} or {tlhIngan yoH Hab
verengan yoH ghegh} would be acceptable, but only {tlhIngan yoH vIl verengan
yoH Hab} would be OK; you would probably get a vital body part chopped off
if you dared say {tlhIngan yoH Hab verengan yoH vIl}. :D

QeS lagh

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

Back to archive top level