tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 14 22:07:23 2004

RE: New vocabulary and {law'/puS} variants (HQ 13.1)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' quljIb:

>Now, I gather that {loS 'uj woch tlhIngan} more correct, qar'a'?

ghobe'. {woch} qar puS {tIq} qar puS. {tIq} {woch} je Dalo'laHbe'. DoS
lo'laHbe'. ja'wI' vuD neH 'oH: {tlhegh tIq}, {SuvwI' woch}. woch nuvpu' law'
'e' Har machwI'; wochbogh nuvpu' puS vIlegh. vagh DoD wej cha' 'ujmey vI'ab;
jIH woch law' HochHom nuvpu' vISovbogh woch puS. ('ach jav DoD pagh Soch
'ujmey 'ab 'IrneHwI' jup; wochqu'chu'.)

You don't use either {tIq} or {woch}. Both appear to be intransitive verbs,
and therefore don't take an object. It just means that, from the speaker's
point of view, X is comparatively tall or long: {tlhegh tIq} "a long rope",
{SuvwI' woch} "a tall warrior". Someone who has dwarfism might think that a
lot of people are tall; similarly, I don't see many people around who are
really tall in my mind, since I'm 6'1", and most people I know are 5'10" or
below. My uncle's friend is 6'11", though. That's tall. (The only man I know
personally who measures more than six uj. {{:D

nuv juvmeH {'ab} wIlo'laH. vangwI' DoS je lo'.
To state someone's height, we use {'ab}, which is transitive:

{jav 'ujmey 'ab SuvwI'} "the warrior is six uj tall"

Savan.

QeS lagh

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline

Back to archive top level