tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 07 15:59:17 2004

Re: joj usage...

qurgh ([email protected])

ghItlh Steven Boozer <[email protected]>:

> We have only one example of {joj}:
>
>    poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
>    The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. S9
>
> Literally: "While warriors are standing on the left side and on the right
> side, the initiate must walk between them."  Note the repetition of the
> suffix {-Daq} on both the area nouns {poS} and {nIS}.

So would something like:

SuvwI' targh je vIlegh 'ej chaH jojDaq jIba'
I see the warrior and the targh and I sit between them

Would stay within canon... What about:

SuvwI' jojDaq targh jojDaq je jIba'
I sit in the area between the warrior and the area between the targh

I'm not sure if I like this or not..

I can happily work around the "list of nouns as the first noun in a noun-noun
construction" problem, but how do we use joj to say between two items *without*
having another sentance before it pointing out the two items?

qurgh

For a free wizage.net web based email address, email me!

Back to archive top level