tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 05 13:44:43 2004

Re: wa'leS as noun

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SIvten:

>so far i haven't heard an answer to my question:
>can i say: latlh jaj 'oH wa'leS'e' = tomorrow is another day.

qajangta' jIH. jIghItlhpu':
I thought I had:

>I think you can; the KLI website uses {ben qep'a'} to say "past
>{qep'a'mey}". Time stamp nouns may behave oddly, but they are true nouns,
>with everything that implies.

Meaning that they can appear in subject and object positions, and in
noun-noun constructs, like everyday nouns. I was using {ben qep'a'} as an
illustration. Also good is SuStel's example {cha'vatlh ben HIq}. SuStel,
<canon>vam chonobta'mo' qatlho'qu'.

bIghItlhtaH:

>"ben" is treated differently from "leS" and "Hu'", in that the latter two
>are usually written as part of a compound word, whereas "ben" is always
>separate.

Like Holtej, I see no problem with saying {cha'ben}. Remember, too, that
just because words are treated differently in one aspect of their grammar
doesn't mean that they are different in *every* way. For instance, we
wouldn't say that {neH} doesn't behave like a verb just because it doesn't
take {'e'} in Sentence As Object constructions.

And be careful about saying <always>! Okrand might hear you. :D

>does anyone have a problem with the sentence above?
>or with:  Hoch jaj rur wa'Hu'/DaHjaj = yesterday was/today is like every
>day.

Holtej jIH je maQochbe': mu'tlheghvam DIlajlaH.

Savan.

QeS lagh

What's your house worth? Click here to find out:
http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level