tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 03 16:52:32 2004

Re: Opinions needed on Klingon pIqaD keyboard mapping

H. Peter Anvin ([email protected])

Qov wrote:

> Do you use the semi-official Klingon pIqaD glyphs, or think you might in
> the future?  Klingon was rejected for inclusion in Unicode because almost
> everyone uses the romanization, but this is a catch-22 because the
> technological barrier prevents us from communicating in pIqaD. Let's fix that.

Note that the Linux OS and the Conscript Registry still has a
semi-official mapping using the U+F8D0 to U+F8FF range.  It's probably
the best bet for the time being.

> It's not actually that hard to learn (I was pleasantly surprised), and it's
> fun.

Sounds like a good thing.

> Please reply to <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected] if you wish to
> discuss this writing system.
>
> There are a number of fonts and keyboard mappings out there. We should
> standardize a keyboard mapping that accommodates eeryone's preferences.
> Are there any keys you would like to use to produce particular characters,
> or symbols that are missing?

I suspect < > producing angle quotes (guillemots) would be annoying to
any mathematically inclined types.  Typically you'd have another key
(called Mode_switch or AltGr) that produces additional symbols; I'd
suggest AltGr-, and AltGr-. to produce guillemots.

For the alphanumeric keys, AltGr should produce Latin characters.

	-hpa

Back to archive top level