tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 20:20:24 2004

'e' / about

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

SuStel:

 >From: "Alan Anderson" <[email protected]>
 >
 >> ja' QeS lagh:
 >> >I was just wondering whether something like {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ
 >> >vImuch} would be legal, and not interpreted as a bad noun-noun
 >> >construction.
 >>
 >> Why use {-'e'} at all?
 >>
 >> tlhIngan Hol SoQ vImuch - "I present a lecture about Klingon."
 >

 >I agree with ghunchu'wI', but to answer your question, yes, I'd consider
 >your sentence legal.  {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ} is an illegal noun-noun
 >construction, so it can't be interpreted as one.  The only >interpretation
 >left is that {tlhIngan Hol'e'} is a topic, and {SoQ} is the object.
 >
 >(Not that someone can't make a mistake in interpretation, mind you.)

in:

<tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ vImuch>
I don't understand the (grammatical) part of the sentence played by
{tlhIngan Hol'e'}.

I see:

Subject -> "jIH"
Object  -> SoQ
verb     -> much

And no way to include {tlhIngan Hol'e'} into the sentence once a noun-noun
construction becomes illegal.

Dar'Qang
bItaghbe'chugh bIrInbe'ba'

Back to archive top level