tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 07:58:12 2004

-Daq KLBC

Shamammd ([email protected])

i have a lot of questions. i have read a lot of posts here lately on the
subject of -Daq and i need you to explain this to me because for some reason, i am
not understanding this at all.
then i have other questions regarding some of my own posts on different
subjects.
Qes lagh:

> I'd say that "via" in English is more an instrumental
> ("by means of") than a locative, and therefore doesn't fall
> under the umbrella of meanings provided by {-Daq}.
-------------------
At this point i would think that {Daq} could not be used for {via}.
-----------
Dar Qang

>Thanks.  The responses taken together help define for me the concept
>discussed in
>DloraH's post.  That usage of -Daq isn't in the dictionary, so was new to
>me.  Before
>seeing the excerpt of that HolQeD discussion, I would have rendered the
>concept of
>{DujDaq jIjaH} as something like {jIjaH. jIjaHtaHvIS Duj vIlo'} or some such.

>I (now) take the {lojmIt} examples as a case were the concept doesn't apply.
-------------------------------------
this part here makes me think i have missed something important and he is
saying that
-Daq can be used to mean {via}.
----------------------------
>However, I currently believe the following /would/ be included as example
>of  -Daq/verb of motion usage as discussed in the HolQeD excerpt:

ok. what exactly is he referring to here?  -Daq/verb of motion..
---------
Dar Qang
>I think that {'ochDaq veng vI'el} would be within the bounds of the usage,
>but I'm
>less certain about {chobDaq pa' vI'el}.

nov wamwI'

>I fail to see a difference here. If there is one, could someone point it out
>to me?

>1. <'ochDaq veng vI'el.> "I enter the city via the tunnel."
>2. <chobDaq pa' vI'el> "I enter the room via the corridor."

-------------------
it is apparent to me that i am not the only one having problems understanding
this.
is Daq being used properly in either of these 2 sentences?
--------------------

From: <[email protected]>
> i dont either. but i dont quite understand any of this thread. i think
what i
> got out of this is that Daq can be used to mean "via" instead of just "in"
at
> or "on". qar'a'?

SuStel

No.  {-Daq} means "in/at/to/on/into," etc.  It just so happens that the idea
"I go to the planet in the ship" could be reworded as "I go to the planet
via the ship" and still mean basically the same thing.  {-Daq} does not mean
"via."

then what is it that i am not  not understanding here? can u please try and
explain this all to me in such a way that i can understand it? maybe without
all of the grammar terminology. since i am a beginner and by no means a
linguist, i do not understand a lot of the terms used and this causes me to not
understand this whole thing! ok. done with Daq. on to other things.
------------------

never mind the other things. you answered a post and i replied with the
questions there.

i think my brain is bleeding out now anyhow.  ROTFL!  BTW do they have a word
for vitamins? cause if this keeps up, im going to need some. lololol

reH taHjaj tlhIngan Hol!

weQqul
bIjatlhnISchugh, tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh!
HovpoH 701360.5