tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 24 22:04:51 2003

Re: Klingon game text

Stephen A. Carter ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.  I've combined my

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 05:27:14 -0700 (PDT), Tyler Fisher wrote:
>And what's so wrong with "access"
>anyway?

Great.  The consensus seems to be that it's fine.

>By the way, I believe that {'otlh peng} was written as
>two separate words on BoP. Also, "Computer console"
>might be better as {De'wI' SeHlaw}.

Both noted and changed.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:24:58 -0400, Scott Willis wrote:
>I don't think a time period can {paw}, as all the examples I've seen
>indicate {paw} refers to a physical arrival. Try:
>
>{qaSpa' HovpoH 3149, Qu'lIj yIta'}
>"Before Stardate 3149 happens, accomplish your mission"
>
>Another possibility, since I don't know how long the stardates last in the
>game:
>
>{Dorpa' HovpoH 3149, Qu'lIj yIta'}
>"Before Stardate 3149 ends, accomplish your mission"
>
>If the counter/timer is up when it switches to HovpoH 3149, then the first
>one is applicable.
>If you have until the timer/counter switches away from HovpoH 3149, the
>second one is more appropriate.

The second situation is the case.  Your suggestion is elegant --
thanks.

>Watch the capitals: {qIb HaSta} "Visual display of the galaxy"

Oops.  Noted and corrected.

>> 5, 7 mIchvo' Dujmaj muppu'bogh Hos: 94.
>
>I get:
>"The power which has struck our ship from sector of 5,7: 94"

>If I understand you correctly, I suggest:
>{mIch 5,7vo' baHbogh may' Duj HoS: 94}
>"The power of the ship which fired from sector 5,7: 94"

Your initial interpretation is close to what I intended -- a "hit" of
94 units of energy was received from the enemy at sector 5,7
(resulting in corresponding damage to the Klingon ship).  If you have
suggestions for making the wording here clearer, I'm all ears.

I also infer from your suggestion that {mIch X,Yvo'} is preferable to
{X,Y mIchvo'}.

>All in all, you did very well.
>{majQa'!}

Thanks!  It's been a fun project.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:39:44 -0500, Steven Boozer wrote:
>I agree with ngabwI':  the {-'e'} on {SoH} is overkill.  Also, don't use
>{la'}.  Klingon has two words for "commander": {la'} is the official
>hierarchical rank, but {ra'wI'} means "one who commands" (i.e. the
>commanding officer, who can be of any official rank - usually {HoD}
>"captain").

Noted.

>   qIvo'rIt toQDuj ra'wI' SoH.
>   You are the commander of a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey.
>
>You can also use the verb {ra'}:
>
>   qIvo'rIt toQDuj bIra'.
>   You command a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey.

>   qIvo'rIt toQDuj bIra' SoH.
>   *YOU* command a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey. (note emphasis)

Yes, that kind of construction using a verb seems much more elegant
than a simple stack of nouns.

>   qIvo'rIt toQDuj bIra' SoH.
>   *YOU* command a K'Vort-class Bird-of-Prey. (note emphasis)
>
>FYI: Okrand translated virtually the identical text in SkyBox card S7:

Busted!  I cribbed from that...

>Some dates from canon:

Thanks for the information.

>>>  joghvam noch      -- Short-range sensors
>
>"this quadrant's sensors"

>We have {noch pat} "remote sensing system" from the BoP Poster and we also
>have {chuqna'} "effective range" (S14).  Here's the sensor entries from the
>Poster under {chuq'a'} "long range":
>
>   jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
>   High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
>
>   jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
>   Medium to Low Resolution - Effective Range - 11 Light Years

I found {chuq'a'} for "long range," but couldn't locate anything that
specifically meant "short range."

What I intended with {joghvam noch} was "a sensor scan of this [i.e,
the current] quadrant," but it seems that's not what my attempted
phrasing actually means.  Would {chuqna' Sum noch} or {joghvamvaD
noch} maybe work?

Here's some background explanation (comments on the {tlhIngan Hol}
usage welcome):

In the game, the long-range sensors show a 3x3 grid of the current
{jogh} and the surrounding eight {jogh}, like this:

chuq'a' noch
jogh: 7, 4
-------------
 003 404 003
 013 314 002
 002 104 014
-------------

(The {jogh} where we are is at the center.  For each of the nine
three-digit numbers, the first digit indicates the number of enemy
ships, the second digit the number of bases, and the third digit the
number of stars.)

The short-range sensors, on the other hand, show a simple map of all
the sectors in the current {jogh} along with some status info, like
this:

joghvam noch
------------------------------
 -  -  -  -  *  -  -  -  -  -   jogh:        7, 4
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   mIch:        5, 6
 -  - <w> -  -  -  - >j< - >j<  Dotlh:       * ghobtaH Duj *
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   HoS:         2900
 -  -  -  -  -  - >j< -  -  -   cha:         10
 -  -  -  - =t= -  -  *  -  -   jagh Dujmey: 48
 *  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -   HovpoH:      3136
 -  -  -  -  -  -  *  -  -  -   naQ Qu':     47 leS
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
------------------------------

(=t= -- toQDuj, >j< -- jagh Duj, <w> -- wo' ejyo'waw', * -- star)

>Don't forget {nISwI' DaH} "disruptor banks".  Klingons don't use phasers AFAIK.

Ah, right!  Thanks for reminding me.

>>>  Quj De' pol       -- Save game
>
>{De'} is as redundant in Klingon as in English, particularly if you want
>clipped commands.  Why not just {Quj pol} "Save game" or {Qujvam pol} "Save
>this game"?

Good point.  Noted and changed.

>But if you don't like {naw'}, what about {tagh} "begin/initiate a process":

The consensus seems to be that {naw'} works fine, so I'll keep it.

>>>  Quj De' naw'      -- Load saved game
>
>   Quj taghqa'
>   Re-start game.  Begin game again.
>
>   Quj Dapollu'bogh yItaghqa'!
>   Re-start saved game!  Re-start the game which you have saved!

In this case it's not a matter of restarting the game from the
beginning, but of loading saved data from an earlier game in progress
in order to resume the game from the point where left off.  Would
{Quj Dapolpu'bogh [yI]Qujqa'} be more understandable?

>Not sure whether {bup} "quit" and {paj} "resign" take an object - neither
>have appeared in canon - are transitive, but {mev} "stop, cease" definitely
>is.

>We also have {jegh} "surrender" even though, as we all know, {jeghbe'
>tlhInganpu'} "Klingons do not surrender" (TKW) and {not jegh tlhIngan
>SuvwI'} "a Klingon warrior never surrenders" (KGT)!

Heh.  I think I'll keep {paj} (without the object) and change {bup}
to {mev}.

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:21:41 -0400, Heather Myers wrote:
><bIra'> should be <Dara'>, as you're commanding *something*, namely the
>Bird of Prey.

Oh, yes.  Thanks.

--
Stephen A. Carter            High-Tech Information Center Nagoya, Ltd.
mailto:[email protected]                                 Nagoya, Japan

Back to archive top level