tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 24 08:28:24 2003

Re: Klingon game text

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen A. Carter" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Cc: "Stephen A. Carter" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 11:45 PM
Subject: Klingon game text

> I have a copy of a simple version of the game that runs on computers
> with a REXX-language environment, and a bud has asked me to
> "localize" it for Klingons -- that is, to rework it so that it's a
> Klingon Bird of Prey that zips around zapping Federation battle
> cruisers.

Is this something I could get the source code to? I want to try to pull it
off in var'aq.

> [A]
>
> Here's the intro text from the original game:
>
> qIvo'rIt toQDuj la' ghaH SoH 'e'.

"As for you, he/she is a commander of a BoP"

Try:
{qIvo'rIt toQDuj la' SoH}
"You are the commander of a BoP"

You could also probably drop the {qIvo'rIt}, as the poster says the BoP is a

{qIvo'rIt may' Duj mach} "Small K'vort battle ship"

and specifically states:

{Segh: bI'rel tlharghDuj} "B'rel-class scout ship"

So either {qIvo'rIt} or {bI'rel} might be redundant, since we already know
it's a BoP.

>   pawpa' HovpoH 3149 Qu'lIj yIta'.

I don't think a time period can {paw}, as all the examples I've seen
indicate {paw} refers to a physical arrival. Try:

{qaSpa' HovpoH 3149, Qu'lIj yIta'}
"Before Stardate 3149 happens, accomplish your mission"

Another possibility, since I don't know how long the stardates last in the
game:

{Dorpa' HovpoH 3149, Qu'lIj yIta'}
"Before Stardate 3149 ends, accomplish your mission"

If the counter/timer is up when it switches to HovpoH 3149, then the first
one is applicable.
If you have until the timer/counter switches away from HovpoH 3149, the
second one is more appropriate.

> [B]
>
> This is a list of ship systems and commands used in the game:
> qib HaSta         -- Galactic map

Watch the capitals: {qIb HaSta} "Visual display of the galaxy"

> Is there a better word than naw' ("access") that could be used to
> mean "call up existing data and place it in memory"?

I agree with Tyler- there's nothing wrong with {naw'} to indicate this item.

> [C]
>
> When an enemy ship attacks (by firing its phasers), a damage report
> giving the sector location of the enemy and its remaining energy is
> displayed.  Here's an example:
>
>   pu' baHpu' jagh.

"The enemy has fired phasers."

This is another one where you could probably drop something.
If phasers are the only thing that the enemy fires, drop the {pu'}.
(This is only my opinion. If it's clear from context, I prefer to leave it
out.)

> 5, 7 mIchvo' Dujmaj muppu'bogh Hos: 94.

I get:
"The power which has struck our ship from sector of 5,7: 94"

If I understand you correctly, I suggest:
{mIch 5,7vo' baHbogh may' Duj HoS: 94}
"The power of the ship which fired from sector 5,7: 94"

And, you could probably drop the {may'}, if the enemy only has battleships.

> Stephen A. Carter

All in all, you did very well.
{majQa'!}

--ngabwI'