tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 13 07:12:18 2003

Re: yIchung, yIchung

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

>I was wondering when someone would pick up this challenge again.  :)

Some challenges are hard to resist.
'op qaDmey 'ommeH Qatlhqu'.
:)

>>1: yIchung! yIchung! HeghvIpghach juSjaj
>>     Seyqu'moHbogh Do.
>

>I particularly like this tact.  I'm not sure about the -jaj, but I think
>/HeghvIpghach/ is a perfect translation for "fear of death".  Translating
>"the thrill of speed" is tricky, and I'm not convinced the relative clause
>works here – I think you end up with "thrilling speed" (literally, "speed
>which excites me").

I agree, {Seyqu'moHbogh Do} talks about speed, not about the thrill.

>How about this take for "the thrill of speed":
>
>yIchung!  yIchung HeghvIpghach jeybe'taHvIS Do SeymoHghach!
>"Accelerate!  Accelerate while the excitation of velocity is not defeating
>the fear of death!"
>
>/Do SeymoHghach/ is either brilliant, or dumb, and I'm not sure which I'm
>feeling today.  :)

Hmm, I'm not sure either. At first I had doubts if {-moH} is the correct
suffix because I didn't see causality (indicated by {-moH}) as a defining
feature of thrill or being thrilled. After all, a thrill is something an
agent feels or experiences. But when I looked up the the definition of the
verb "to thrill" in my Webster's dictionary I found not only:

Def 2.  to experience a wave of emotion or excitement

but also:

Def 1.  to affect with a sudden wave of excitement

So perhaps {SeymoHghach} does work.

Your noun-noun construction {Do SeymoHghach} would then mean something like:
"The velocity('s) causing to be excited"

Hmm, I see nothing wrong with that but I'd rather not make a definitive
judgment.
I feel too dumb to make jugdments as to what counts as brilliant and what
counts as dumb.
{{;-)

'ISqu'