tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 27 01:09:19 2003

Re: Klingon sounds and IPA (was Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C)

> ja' qeyS:
> >I'm not making a distinction here between "phoneme" and
> >"basic value of each letter", but I'm saying that on that
> >"klingonska" page the phoneme signs (using IPA) are mapped
> >to the roman orthography (which is indeed basically a
> >one-to-one relationship) but that square brackets are used
> >there, which is usually used to indicate REALISATIONS of
> >phonemes, instead of the theoretical value they have.

ja' ghunchu'wI':
> That still sounds like the same thing.  All you've done is change the word
> "basic" to "theoretical".  What's the difference between "phoneme" and
> "theoretical value" [of a phoneme sign, I assume]?

none :) the difference is between "theoretical value of a phoneme"
on the one hand and "realisation of a phoneme" on the other

> Is this something to do
> with a distinction between "phonomics" [?] and "phonetics"?  HIchuH.

yes, "theoretical values of phonemes" are usually placed between slashes,
like this: /w/, while brackets are used to enclose "realisations
of a phoneme", e.g. [w]

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
[email protected]