tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 23:11:38 2003

Fun with law'/puS constructions

Can you put suffixes on verbs in a law'/puS construction?  (I seem to
remember having done this, but thinking it out at the moment I think it
seems really weird to do this.)

jIH HoS law' SoH HoS puS        I am stronger than you.

?jIH HoS law'chugh SoH HoS puS         ?If I am stronger than you...

This problem came about as I was trying to describe a walking
program/contest I've just enrolled in.  I was trying to explain that if
I increase my steps (chuq yIt-walking distance) every day, then I may
win a prize.  Thus I wanted to put a -chugh on the law' in the law'/puS.

A Q law' B Q puS

The distance today is being compared to the distance yesterday.

DaHjaj chon yIt Q law' wa'Hu' chon yIt Q puS

The length is the quality.

wa'Hu' chon yIt tIq law' DaHjaj chon yIt tIq puS

Assuming the above is permissible, of which I am entirely unsure, then I
would do the further unsure thing of placing a -chugh on the law' to get
something which, in my twisted brain, reads: "If yesterday's walking
distance is longer than today's walking distance..."

?wa'Hu' chon yIt tIq law'chugh DaHjaj chon yIt tIq puS...

Thanks much in advance to anyone brave enough to read through this
monstrosity!

  _____

JIQEL

jIqel ghojwI'

<batlh wo' yejHaD je vItoy'mo' 'e' jIHem>

  _____

Back to archive top level