tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 09 13:07:52 2003

Re: {oy}, diphthong or V+C

"Sangqar (Sean Healy)" wrote:

>On a side note, I wonder if anyone has gone through and described the phones
>of each Klingon phoneme, especially in light of the information given in KGT
>about various dialects.  It might make a good HolQeD article.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but perhaps you know http://www.klingonska.org
There one can see the IPA letters for the Klingon sounds.
But I'm not sure if that has been done with all different phonemes, though.

>To sum up my position: the combination {oy} (in the same syllable) is
>orthographically (and most likely phonemically) a vowel followed by a
>consonant,

Yes.

>but phonetically, it is almost certainly a diphthong.

Yes, definitely.

Quvar.
  reH boch qutluch lo'lu'chugh

Back to archive top level