tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 16:23:27 2003

Duj tIvoqtaH (was Re: Duytvoqtah)

SuStel wrote:

>>From: Lieven (Quvar valer):
>>They sing altogther
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,

>I'm not sure what you're discussing here, but shouldn't that be /Duj
>yIvoqtaH/ "(Continuously) trust instincts"?  /Duj/ "instincts" is one of
>those "inherently plural" words.  /Duj tIvoqtaH/ can only mean
>"(Continuously) trust ships."

You are right.
But it's Marc Okrands fault. He did this mistake in the "List of Useful Expressions" of TKD. There
you can find on top of page 171:
   "Always trust your instincts."
   {Duj tIvoqtaH}

He corrected this mistake in TKW, p. 27:
   "Trust your instincts"
   {DujlIj yIvoq}
with the following explanation:

The Klingon word for instincts is {Duj}, and it is grammatically correct to treat it as singular (a
bundle or collection of instincts) or plural (individual instincts).
<<<<

Quvar
aka
Lieven.