tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 15:53:13 2003

Re: Duytvoqtah - hui wat fuern tach!

Quvar:
>>They sing altogther
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,
>>    Duj tIvoqtaH,

SuStel:
>I'm not sure what you're discussing here, but shouldn't that be /Duj
>yIvoqtaH/ "(Continuously) trust instincts"?  /Duj/ "instincts" is one of
>those "inherently plural" words.  /Duj tIvoqtaH/ can only mean
>"(Continuously) trust ships."

Not exactly.  {Duj} is tricky:

   Duj tIvoqtaH
   Always trust your instincts. TKD

   DujlIj yIvoq
   Trust your instincts. TKW

This discrepancy was explained in TKW (p. 27):

   ... it is grammatically correct to treat it as singular (a bundle or
   collection of instincts) or plural (individual instincts). {Duj} also
   means "ship" or "vessel", so a possible interpretation of the aphorism
   is "trust your ship".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons