tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 16 16:05:41 2003

Re: Using New Words

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
>    DaH DorchoH yInwIj bertlham 'ej vaj vIqaDnIS
>    now the (very) end of my life comes to an end and so I must face it
>
>    DaH DorchoH yInwIj 'ej vaj bertlhamDaj vIqaD
>    now my life comes to an end and so I face it's end
>
>    DaH DorchoH yInwIj 'ej tugh bertlhamDaj vIqaDnIS
>    now my life comes to an end and soon I must face it's end
>
>    etc.
>
> Okay, the two "ends" are repetitive in English but it sounds better in
> Klingon.
>
> Hmm... for some reason {'ej vaj} "and so" feels redundant in Klingon (but
> not in English).  You might just use {vaj} alone.

No!  /vaj/ is not a sentence conjunction, it's an adverbial.  If you're
joining sentences, you must use /'ej/ (or another sentence conjunction).

I don't see anything redundant here.  /'ej/, according to Okrand, has no
meaning beyond stating multiple sentences together.

SuStel
Stardate 3539.7

Back to archive top level