tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 13:32:54 2003

Flawed comparison (was Re: My 2¢ etc.)

You folks are really pushing all my buttons today. :)  Okay,
let's dive in.

> The differences in the two here are *very* important to my
>standpoint. Quenya and Sindarin, both used in the Lord of the
>Rings trilogy, have evolved. They've moved beyond what they were
(to an extent), and become what Tolkien envisioned.

First, let it be known that one of the main reasons that I
started the KLI in the early 90's was because of my experiences
as a teenager hanging out with a group known as the Mythopoeic
Linguistic Fellowship (later renamed Elvish Linguistic
Fellowship, or ELF) which at the time was the main (if not only)
organization studying Tolkien's languages in the USA. That was
back in the days of people like Bill Weldeon and Paula Marmor,
Jim Allan and Chris Gilson; names which will mean something to
anyone studying the Eldarin tongues today. Those experiences
guided me in the formation of the KLI. Convinced me that you
*could* study a language from fiction.

Second, keep in mind that in those halcyon days, Tolkien was
still alive, and THE SILMARILLION not yet published. The lexicon
of Elvish (and I mean ALL forms, Quenya, Sindarin, Proto-Eldarin)
was a tiny tiny document. This lexicon expanded greatly when the
SILMARILLION was published, but it was still tiny (as opposed to
tiny tiny).

The vast flood of materials from Tolkien's hand came to the ELF
years after Tolkien's death, in the form of volume after volume of notes and tales published by his son, Christopher.

Third, I don't think you can speak of what "Tokien envisioned." I
unfamiliar with any statements from him on the topic of where he
wanted his languages to go. I'm aware that he created them for
his own delight, and was pleased to respond to intelligent
queries made by members of the MLF before his death. I know he
had a quirky sense of humor, and inserted Florence Nightengale
and other puns into his languages, but that's the kind of thing
we expect from invented languages. Other intent or visions? Don't
know of them, and won't presume to guess.

>Tokien actually created a past for his languages, going so far
>as to outline three different alphabets that were used
>"throughout the ages, in succession" as one linguist put it. He
>started the evolution of the Elven tongues, so speakers of
>Sindarin today can actually go back and create new words as a
>concensus sees fit, by the etymology of the words themselves.

One of the reasons that Tolkien's languages lend themselves to
this sort of process is revealed by realizing that Tolkien was
NOT a linguist, but rather a philologist. The patterns of other
languages, both existing and dead, run throughout the Eldarin
tongues. That makes the process of generating new words
considerably easier in theory, though it requires tremenodous
scholarship, and it is very easy to document that the level of
scholarship performed by organizations like the latest
incarnation of ELF exceeds that of the KLI. But that's part of
the nature of what they have to work with versus what we have to
work with.
And yet, despite these alleged advantages that you point to,
beyond some poems and songs (some of which I admit are very
lovely) I know of nothing significant either translated from
another language into Sindarin, nor much in the way of new work
crafted in any of the Eldarin tongues.

It's not my goal to turn the world of constructed languages into
a pissing contest, but rather to point out that the comparisons
being posted are woefully incomplete and flawed.

Nor is this a zero-sum game. When I created HolQeD for the KLI, I
first contacted the head of the ELF and consulted with him. Our
original layout greatly resembled their own publication, Vinyar
Tengwar. Similarly, I'm told that other constructed language
organizations (e.g., the Lojban speakers) often look at the
activities of the KLI for ideas of what they might be doing. And
both of these are fine.

Klingon is what it is. Sindarin is what it is. There are
similarities in their origins, but it all breaks down soon after.
I don't find comparisons terribly useful, even when they're
accurate.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level