tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 13 15:04:14 2003

Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (was Re: Klingon - Terminology Databases (IMHO))

Okrand most definitely should be the "big boss."  I just think, though, that because he is only one man, sometimes he doesn't think of all the stuff we might think of with regards to vocabulary, and times when you say "though slang in English, how would a Klingon say that?"  Like I said before, the man's a genius.  You don't just create a language and have it stick for going 19 years!  But couldn't there be more...than this list...than an annual qep'a'...than what we have now?  I'm talking colleges in every state who teach Klingon for those wanting to take classes!  And clubs based purely off of the langauge (more than what we have now)!  And Klingon Houses (some rival, some allies :P) who don't just dress up as Klingons, but actually deal with and speak Klingon (Way more than what we have now!)!  I think in local Newspapers, someone should start writing columns, maybe editorials about the Empire, every week/day in Klingon.  Ah, dreams, dreams, dreams.  We, as the Klingon speakers of
 the world, should do something to help expand the Honorable Language  :)  In fact, I'm going to go put out signs righ now!  :P  Written in Klingon, just a few things for anyone passing by that can read Klingon!  Something like, "Attention, Terran!  You're not alone!  Long live the Empire!"  :)  lol  I'm sure we can all agree that it would be a magnificent world if Klingon was a dominant language :)

Tyler Fisher <[email protected]> wrote:While I admit that the vocabulary does lack some
common day words, I think that the words we have now
are pretty useful.
To agree with what one person said a while ago (I
forget who), we could probably increase the vocabulary
simply by expanding the definitions of the words that
already exist. For example, {Duy'} (defect) could
probably be translated as "flaw". And {poch} (plant)
might possibly be used to mean "insert", although
that's a bit of a stretch.
I would also like to see more idioms. The ones in KGT
were pretty cool, and I think this is a good way to
express concepts that would otherwise be difficult to
write in Klingon.
Finally, in regards to Okrand being the ultimate
authority on canon Klingon, I think that for now he
should be the big boss. But let's also consider for a
moment that Okrand, like most of the human race, is
mortal. Eventually there will come a day (hopefully in
the distant future) when Okrand will leave us all to
join his ancestors in Sto-Vo-Kor. When that day comes,
who will we turn to for canon Klingon? Now there's
food for thought...

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Klingon Warrior
taHjaj wo'!