tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 13 13:10:45 2003

Re: Is the language too bound for its own good? (was Re: Klingon - Terminology Databases (IMHO))

While I admit that the vocabulary does lack some
common day words, I think that the words we have now
are pretty useful.
To agree with what one person said a while ago (I
forget who), we could probably increase the vocabulary
simply by expanding the definitions of the words that
already exist. For example, {Duy'} (defect) could
probably be translated as "flaw". And {poch} (plant)
might possibly be used to mean "insert", although
that's a bit of a stretch.
I would also like to see more idioms. The ones in KGT
were pretty cool, and I think this is a good way to
express concepts that would otherwise be difficult to
write in Klingon.
Finally, in regards to Okrand being the ultimate
authority on canon Klingon, I think that for now he
should be the big boss. But let's also consider for a
moment that Okrand, like most of the human race, is
mortal. Eventually there will come a day (hopefully in
the distant future) when Okrand will leave us all to
join his ancestors in Sto-Vo-Kor. When that day comes,
who will we turn to for canon Klingon? Now there's
food for thought...