tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 09:35:04 2003

Re: /rI'/ (was Re: Kash jIH.)

Lawrence:
> > Thus, it makes perfect sense, in the absence of any examples, to
> > interpret <<jev>> to be a military term rather than a meteorlogical
> > one.

qaS ngal-qaS:
>Can it still be used as such,

No, not as far as we know.  We may not have any examples, but at the
October 2000 Farpoint Convention Marc Okrand explicitly told Krankor that
{jev} "is a weather term".  Thus it means "be rainy, windy, thundering" and
is used similarly to {SIS} "rain".  As such, we can use it to talk about
the story of Kahless and the Fool:

   "A well-known Klingon myth tells of a man in the ancient city of Quin'lat
    who dies because, during a storm, he remained outside the walls of the
    city in order to show that he was not afraid of the storm and to make
    the storm respect him. Kahless, who was in the city at the time, remarked
    {qoH vuvbe' SuS} ('The wind does not respect a fool'), which has become a
    frequently repeated proverb." (KGT 122)

>or is there a distinct term for it as a military term?

For this meaning we have the verbs {HIv} "attack, assault" and {weH}
"raid".  WRT the latter, Okrand comments that it's the

   "same as {yot} ['invade'], really, but with the added connotation of
    surprise or speed" (KGT 48)

These can be fine-tuned by the addition of {-qu'} and {-chu'}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level