tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 30 11:43:57 2003

Re: Lexicography

From: "C. Krottje" <[email protected]>
> SuQ - be toxic (predicative use)

Predicative use?  I'm not sure how this applies.

> K: puj SoHchugh chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQ 'oHmo'
> E: Don't drink that chechtluth if you are weak, because it
> is toxic

/puj/ and /SuQ/ are verbs, and any verb suffixes used must go on these.

bIpujchugh chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQmo'
If you are weak don't drink that chechtlhutlh because it is toxic.

You could leave the pronouns in if you like, though they are entirely
optional:

bIpujchugh SoH chechtlhutlhvetlh yItlhutlhQo' SuQmo' 'oH.

> SuQ - be toxic (adjectival use)
> K: tera'nganpu'vaD QaQbe' ay'mey SuQ
> E: The toxic ingredients are not good for humans.

You lost the initial /'/ on /'ay'mey/.  Otherwise, this is correct.  You
lose the connotation of a drink or stew "ingredients" without the previous
context, though ("toxic parts" could refer to a lot of things).

> Surchem - force field (noun)
> K: Surchem yIchu'Ha'! DaH!
> E: Deactivate the force field! now!

This works as much as the English translation you provide, but a more
formally correct version would be

DaH Surchem yIchu'Ha'
Deactivate the force field now!

/DaH/ is an adverbial and goes at the beginning of the sentence.  It can
also be used as a separate exclamation (which is how you used it).

> Surgh - skin (transitive verb)
> K: Ha'DIbaHmey luSurghnISlu'chu'
> E: The animals must be skinned from head to foot.

This is a very good sentence and translation.  Note that it does not
necessarily explain what's correct or not correct about skinning animals, it
simply describes the process.

> SuS - blow (into wind instrument) to produce sound (trans.
> verb)
> K: DIran pangnIslu'be' 'ach 'oH SuSnISlu'
> E: The DIran should not be plucked but it should be blown.

Good.

> SuSDeq - windbag, bellows; blown musical instrument
> consisting of a bag (us. Made of animal skin) and vibrating
> strings (noun)
> K: QoQ lIngmeH SuS lo'bogh jan 'oH SuSDeq'e'
> E: The `bellows' is an instrument that uses air to produce
> music.

Hmm.  I wonder if pushing a bag to force air counts as /SuS/ (v)?

> Sut - clothing (noun)
> K: tayvaD Sut lugh tuQnISlu'
> E: One should wear the proper clothing for a ceremony.

Good.

> EXTRA QUESTION: is <<Sut>> a mass noun (like English
> 'water' or can it also be used in the plural, e.g.
> <<Sutmey>> (clothes)

We don't know.

> Suy - merchant (noun)
> K: tlhongbe' 'e' luwuq cha' Suypu'
> E: The two merchants decided not to bargain

Good.

> SuyDuj - merchant ship (noun)
> K: neHmaHDaq 'el SuyDuj net chaw'
> E: The merchant ship was allowed to go into the Neutral
> Zone.

I believe that the object of /'el/ is the thing or place entered, so /-Daq/
here is redundant.

neHmaH 'el SuyDuj net chaw'

> Suy' - type of animal, shooey (noun)
> K: Suy' bachHa' 'ach tlhuH taH 'oH
> E: He had shot the shooey, but it continued to breathe.

/-taH/ is a verb suffix (it's also a verb, but you haven't used it correctly
if that is your intention).  Also, I believe KGT tells us that the correct
object of /bach/ is the type of ammunition fired, though it can also be the
weapon fired (e.g., /pu'HIch bach/ "he fired a phaser pistol").  If you want
to talk shooting at a target, use /-Daq/.  If you want to talk about HITTING
a target, I suggest /bach 'ej qIp/:

Suy'Daq bach 'ej 'oH qIp 'ach tlhuHtaH 'oH
He shot at the shooey and hit it, but it continued to breathe.

(Is /qIp/ the right verb here?  I think KGT mentions differences between
types of hitting -- like /mup/ is for a hammer sort of hitting, and /ngeQ/
is for bumping into something.)

I suspect you added /-Ha'/ to /bach/ to mean "shot but failed to hit," but
I'm not sure that's best here.  He didn't shoot incorrectly, hit failed to
hit the target.

> Su' - Ready! Standing by! (interjection)
> K: Su' yIbaH!
> E: Standing by! Fire!

While this is correct, I wonder why someone would indicate that he is
standing by before issuing an order to someone else to fire.  Another
interpretation (with the same Klingon sentence) would be "Stand by!  Fire!"

> Su'lop - a concoction of different kinds of food and various
> flavorful herbs which is fed to an animal about to be killed
> for consumption, after which the partially digested food is
> used as a sauce.
>
> Anybody have a nice example sentence for this one?

Anything you like.  Here's just one:

Su'lop ghajbogh Ha'DIbaH'e' 'ey law' Hoch 'ey puS
Meat with Su'lop tastes the best.

SuStel
Stardate 3082.1

Back to archive top level