tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 26 07:55:36 2003

Re: KLBC

ghItlh knera:

k>Someone pointed out to me that there were more suffixes in the TKD addendum.

Yes, there are several.

k>can someone explain the type 9 suffix -ghach to me please.

If you send this with the subject line KLBC, that "someone" is ME :-).

{-ghach} the socalled "nominalizer"

TKD, 4.2.9, addendum:
<<<<<<
  In Klingon, there are many instances of nouns and verbs being identical in form (e.g., {ta'} "accomplishment, accomplish"). It is not known if all verbs can be used as
nouns, but it is known that verbs ending in suffixes (such as {-Ha'} "undo" in {lobHa'} "disobey") can never be nouns. The Type 9 suffix {-ghach,} however, can be
attached to such verbs in order to form nouns.

You can make nouns out of verbs, but apparently, you always need a suffix at the verb.
Roughly spoken, this suffix has the same meaning as the english ending "-ness" or "-ation".

So, when you take the verb {tlhutlh}"drink" and want to make a noun, you can NOT just add {-ghach}. It will sound like "drinkation" or "drinkness", but not "a drink"

Here's some canon examples from different sources:
  {belpu'ghach} "having been pleased"
  {lo'laHghach} "value"
  {lo'laHbe'ghach} "worthlessness"
  {naDHa'ghach} "discommendation"
  {naDqa'ghach} "re-commendation"
  {nobpu'ghach} "a given (a finished case of giving)"
  {nobtaHghach} "ongoing giving"
  {quvHa'ghach} "dishonor"
  {quvmoHghach} "process of honoring"
  {tlhutlhtaHghach} "ongoing drinking"

Now others may add their explanations, if they like :-)
Feel free to ask more questions on this.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level