tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 29 09:50:40 2003

Re: MOST terminology

From: <[email protected]>
> This is sort of what I was lamenting in my post about vocabulary a while
> back.  We keep thinking we have no word for "picture" or "image" in any
> of its senses, and we refuse to consider the possibility that {HaSta}
> may be that missing word, mainly (I think) because we are stuck in a
> literalist, concrete mode of thinking: since we know that {HaSta} is
> glossed as "visual display", and this meaning was given to us by a
> technician from a Klingon starship, then that's all it can possibly mean
> (whatever that is).  But I have a sneaking suspicion that {HaSta} as
> "visual display" is simply a specialized extrapolation of a word
> with much wider application in Klingon in general.  Too bad there's
> no way to really know. I wish sometimes that when Okrand gave us
> new words, he would go back and look at the resources that already
> exist, instead of making up brand-new ones each time.

I'm tempted to tell you, "Life's tough, isn't it?"  This is the very problem
we've had to deal with all along.  Your sneaking suspicion may not match my
sneaking suspicion.  Which sneaking suspicion is the "correct" one, if
either?

Okrand does often go back to old words and more clearly define them.  KGT is
full of such things.  Sometimes a HolQeD article might do this, if it's
necessary to contrast an old word with a new word.

In my opinion, by the way, /HaSta/ is exactly what it is defined to be:
"visual display."  Two common types of viewing modes on a starship screen,
/HaSta/ and /wIy/.  Whether these can be applied to other contexts is
unknown, and that their meanings necessarily change in different contexts is
a complete guess.

I am reminded of "The Neutral Zone," an episode of Star Trek: The Next
Generation.  Three people from the 20th century are brought out of cryogenic
sleep, and are trying to come to grips with their situation.  One asks to
turn on the "boob tube," the "TV."  The officers on the ship have no idea
what he's talking about, except Data, who explains that the entertainment
form of "television" did not last much into the 21st century.  Now, if
English-speaking Humans in the 24th century lack these terms, I'm not so
worried about a bunch of 21st century geeks complaining that we don't know
the Klingon terms for them: there may not even be any.

SuStel
Stardate 3993.6

Back to archive top level