tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 28 16:53:31 2003

Re: Klingon UI Questions

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Sunday 28 December 2003 10:41, you wrote:
> Hey Christian,
>
> I joined the mailing list (didn't know if I was already on it or
> not) but I'm wondering how many people have signed up so far to help
> with the translation? Also, is there any software produced by the
> OOo people to assist in translation, like the KDE localization
> software?
>
> Thanks
>
> qurgh

Hi, qurgh, Sebastian

Thanks for your questions.  We have about 7 people who have expressed a
definite interest in translating English into Klingon, but we still
are looking for someone who has sufficient fluency in Klingon and
sufficient computer skills to be accepted by the community as a
coordinator of the project.  As you can tell from the discussions
which are taking place on the [email protected] list, it appears
that there are some linguistic issues which are going to need to be
acceptable to the Klingonist community, such as the word choice for
"window" as it refers to a window on a desktop such as KDE, GNOME, or
Microsoft Windows.  (OpenOffice.org runs well on both Linux and
Windows).

At the same time, we need someone who will be able to understand how to
use the tools available to the public in general on the OpenOffice.org
(OOo for short) web site, so that that person can ask divide up the
work into manageable, delegable tasks.  We don't have such a person so
far.

We also have a discuss list and a web site, and Klingonist volunteers,
so all we really need is for someone who is respected who also has the
time to be able to coordinate this rather large task.

So we do have enough pieces of the puzzle to start building the puzzle.
Now we just need a puzzle master.  Or puzzle mistress, as the case may
be.  (Another linguistic issue).    :-)

Back to archive top level