tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 24 15:34:33 2003

Re: Please start OpenOffice.org translation project for Klingon

Christian Einfeldt ([email protected])

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 20:35, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> On 12/21/03 22:36, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> >On Saturday 20 December 2003 21:31, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> >>I'd love to see someone start a GNOME (and KDE) translation
> >> project for Klingon.
> >
> >I'm a new member of the KLI, and an older member of the
> > OpenOffice.org (OOo) project.  As I have mentioned a couple of
> > times in the past on this list, there is interest in localizing
> > Klingon for OOo.  Please contact me of the list if you are
> > interested in participating.  Due to Paramount's interest in its
> > intellectual property, and due to the fact that the KLI already
> > has a good legal relationship with Paramount, I personally would
> > like to see interested persons become paid members of the KLI, if
> > they're not already.  Doing so will have the mutually beneficial
> > effects of strengthening the KLI, and it will also make sure that
> > the localization proceeds in a legal fashion from the point of
> > view of Paramount.
>
> Just poking my head into the list for a moment to encourage people
> to join in and support the OpenOffice.org project.  I'm in on it
> (always have my fingers in all the pies), as are some others here.
> We need some good steady talent... generally more hands on deck.
> The more Klingon proficiency you have, the better, but even if
> you're not an expert, there's still probably SOMETHING you can do.
>
> OOo is a really nice hunk of software (I use it on occasions when I
> need a good word-processor or spreadsheet, etc... I try to avoid
> supporting the Redmond Empire...) and this could be another boost to
> Klingon's visibility.

Thanks for the good words, Mark.  OOo localization of Klingon is also
another hallmark of Klingon's breadth and richness as a language.  For
example, it is my understanding that Vulcan is not sufficiently fully
developed as a language to support localization.  Language is also
more than a transport vehicle for data, it is a conveyor of culture,
and indeed a creator of culture.  I won't pretend that OOo alone is
going to make a huge difference in the number of Klingonists
worldwide, but the more avenues we open for the transmission of
Klingon, the more likely people are to use Klingon as a vehicle of
international communication.

Back to archive top level