tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 23:59:12 2003

Re: Some thoughts on vocabulary (was Re: Word for "random")

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:02:20 -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> I can't believe that the morpheme {pu'} (as in {pu'HIch})

(It's also a word on its own.)

> never meant anything other than "phaser";

Perhaps that's not such a good example :) Have a look at KGT p. 58,
where a speculative origin of this word is presented.

> a fantasy of mine is that we'll someday discover it's the old
> Klingon word for a lightning bolt. We generally have only the
> "modern", technical meanings of these words, which is understandable
> given their source, but I'm convinced the older associations remain.

But I agree; many words seem too highly-developed technologically for
one-syllable words.

Philip

Back to archive top level