tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 10 14:38:17 2003

Re: Word for "random"

ter'eS:
> >> I'm still strongly attracted to {pat}, though, despite Voragh's and
> >> Quvar's examples, which refer only to objects,

Quvar:
> > These are all Marc Okrands examples, which refer only to objects!

SuStel:
>Okrand never explained how to use the word.  He never said, "It means this
>and not that."  He just gave us a one-word definition, and used it a number
>of times.  That does not prove that ter'eS is wrong.

I agree.  Certainly every English speaker on this list will understand him.

>He's not declaring that /pat/ must be able to refer to conceptual systems,
>he's saying that he THINKS it can.  Likewise, you THINK it can't.  There's
>no proof either way.

Other than the 18 examples as a physical system and *no* counter-examples
as a conceptual system.  <g>  Also, note the anomalous phrase from SP3:

   nuH pat
   weapons grid SP3

where {pat} is translated as "grid" not "system".  (Okay, this is ambiguous
too, since a grid is another kind of highly-organized pattern!)

This is one of the reasons I insist on providing every single known example
in these discussions.  Occasionally seeing all of them side-by-side reveals
an unexpected "undocumented feature" of the language, or a hint at what a
given Klingon word (and not it's English gloss) really means or how we
should use it.  Of course, this doesn't work in those cases where we only
have one or two examples, but here I think 18-0 is a pretty strong
hint.  Not absolute proof, of course - only Maltz can provide that - but
certainly something to think about.

>I personally don't see any reason to say that /pat/ can't refer to a logical
>ordering.

Unless the underlying idea of {pat} isn't "pattern/logical ordering" but
"different objects used together" -- like my CPU, monitor, keyboard, mouse,
router, network server, etc. that I'm using right now; without any one of
these components ({bobcho'mey}, {'ay'mey}?), we couldn't be having this
discussion.  You don't have to see underlying patterns, just that these
things have to be connected together to work - rather like individual
crewmen need work together to make a crew.

Or maybe not.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons